Scanning water cockled sketchbook pages


Cold and sunny, I avoid the park crowds and head through the trees staring up at the crows cawing away in the treetops. I tried to photograph them but my phone camera can't cope with the moving corvids. Spent 10 minutes just soaking the view in and still needed to look at crow reference when I got home, I blame my Aphantasia. The image started off as just a crow and a tree branch but developed as I got into using the ink to create mark making textures. The drawing took over you might say.

Coloured with Winsor & Newton watercolour, colour pencil and white acrylic ink. I'm in love with the effect the subtle watercolour and the density of the black indian ink. Soaking pages in water colour makes scanning a double page spread difficult as the shadows ad distortion caused by the paper cockling is a problem when scanning. A way round this is to clamp the book between pieces of wood for about an hour. The pressure flattens the paper long enough to get a decent scan. Alternatively, I have used this technique successfully in the past too for larger ink drawings. I tried to Photoshop the centre of the book pages, to get rid of the gutter crease but it destroyed the image too much. Another solution would be to cut the pages out but I love the sketchbook too much to do that to it. I am trying to retain as much of the paper quality as I can when scanning. A Comment I get when people see the sketchbook is they like to see the mistakes, the white out, the patches and I agree.

Comments