Squelching out another diary page!

Putting my boots through the mud test as I squelch my way around the Calder Wetlands mud paths. I find 'clear ' puddles and clumps of grass to clean off most of the sticky mud so it's not that bad and the waxing I gave them is still holding up so my feet are dry. They leaked when it was freezing cold with snow and ice and I am wondering if it's something to do with ice crystals penetrating the waterproof layer of the boots, can ice crystals do that?

Moving on from the mud baths. There's a distinct lack of daffodils around the lakes whereas the road sides seem to be their preferred home in abundance. Of course they don't really have a say in the matter as someone would have had to put  the bulbs in the ground, a bit of self seeding would naturally occur but I think the powers that be want to prettify the brutal look of road sides in Spring. Maybe it's a bit early for the daffs around the lake side, it's just that they seem conspicuous by their absence.

Again, pages made with pencil, dip pen and india ink, watercolour, coloured pencil and white acrylic ink in an A5 Seawhite of Brighton sketchbook. Interestingly my scanner is not coping with the the subtle colour blue grey and shifts it to a depressing, wet day out, green hue. I don't mind - as I've said before, it suits the content.



Comments