A Creepy Rewatch




I have watched a lot of horror films of late. I used to sketch them but kind of lost the habit when I started doing the Chuffin' Billy comic strip and my walking drawing diary. Having just seen Oddity I was reminded that the director had a 2020 film called

Caveat
. I was certain that I had seen it but didn't remember a thing about it so decided a rewatch was on the cards. I guess feeling relaxed about it as a second watch I found myself cracking open my sketchbook and drawing as I watched.

Like Oddity, I enjoyed the film's displaced time period. Although it's supposedly set in modern times, the visuals give off a strong 1950s vibe. This is a clever storytelling technique. We have a romanticised view of recent history, and elements like old-fashioned phones or classic cars can evoke a sense of nostalgia and intrigue. These objects, with their distinct shapes and imperfections, feel more authentic than their sleek, modern counterparts. Similarly, a character's chunky tweed clothing adds a layer of depth and personality. It's a far cry from the generic, mass-produced outfits we often see in films. The imperfections and quirks of these older styles make them more memorable and interesting.

Unsure about the leather sleepwalking jacket, it certainly added a unique and visually striking element to the character design but couldn't it be unbuckled, or even cut off?






Comments