Editorial constraint


I started watching The Hourglass Sanitorium, a Polish film from 1975.

It was recommended to me by a YouTube channel on obscure cinema. 'On The Silver Globe' was also on the list and as that is one of my all-time favourite bizarre films, thought Hourglass was worth a go. Visually stunning, theatrical and mysterious with sets that looked like they had been found, abandoned and extravagantly decadent in winter, The Hourglass Sanitorium starts off well enough...

Sadly, I had to give up after 30 minutes. There was a Terry Gilliam feeling about the storytelling. Terry G works better with others when he has editorial/studio constraints. The work otherwise looks good but becomes self indulgent to the point of being unwatchable. Tideland was the last TG film I watched.

I will return to The Hourglass Sanitorium but it will have to be viewed in chunks.

The other drawing is a doodle, unrelated but I enjoyed doing it.

Comments